Thursday 9 March 2017

Teaching assistant Ryan wins a significant award in technology

Taken from the original source: http://www.northampton.ac.uk/news/teaching-assistant-ryan-rises-above-his-academic-struggles-to-win-a-significant-award-in-technology/

Ryan with his certificate
A graduate teaching assistant at the University of Northampton, who overcame his academic struggles during his GCSEs and A Levels and is now taking on a PhD, has been awarded an IT Award from the Worshipful Company of Information Technologists (WCIT).
Since graduating in 2016 with a BSc in Computing (Software Engineering), Ryan Edwards has been working as a teaching assistant within the University’s Computing department, alongside his PhD studies.
Ryan was recognised as a Bronze award winner and has received a £100 grant cheque and a WCIT Outstanding IT Award certificate.
Ryan said: “I feel proud of the way in which I have developed throughout my studies, especially as I needed additional support during my GCSEs and A-Levels and I was able to graduate with a very high classification. During my time at University, I really built up my interpersonal skills and concentrated on making myself more employable by doing extra activities outside of the classroom.
“Winning this award is a great personal achievement for me as I have proved to myself that I am able to do anything I put my mind too. I had a lot of self-doubt when starting University and never thought after graduating I would have won a nationally recognised award. I’m also very proud to be undertaking a PhD as well as getting stuck into a graduate teaching assistant role at the University I studied at.”
Gary Hill, Head of Computing at the University of Northampton, said: “Ryan has struggled to overcome the adversities he has faced, but despite this he has successfully completed his BSc Computing (Software Engineering) with a 2:1 and has been employed by the University as a Graduate Teaching Assistant and registered to study part time for a PhD.
“Throughout his three undergraduate years at the University, Ryan acted a student teaching assistant in his second year and supporting supported first years in Web Technology. He was also a Student Ambassador, a student course representative at University meetings and a committee member of the Student Union Computing Society. Well done Ryan.”


All views and opinions are the author's and do not necessarily reflected those of any organisation they are associated with. Twitter: @scottturneruon

No comments:

Post a Comment